- Understand the concepts of Mind-Body Medicine, mindfulness, and deep relaxation, and why the mind is of central importance in all therapeutic work?
- Develop an operational definition of stress and how changing thoughts, beliefs, mental images, and expectations modifies and manages stress.
- Learn the role of deeply relaxed states and clinical procedures (meditation, prayer, hypnosis, etc.) for combating stress related illness and achieving peak levels of personal performance.
- Introduction to the new science of Neuroplasticity . . . how to “rewire” the CNS for health and wellness.
- Learn the 4 steps of Mindfulness Meditation and its use in Stress Reduction and Management
- Review the current research demonstrating the value and effectiveness of mind-body interventions and understand Kahneman’s System 1 and System 2 thinking and how to make use of them in supporting healing response.
- Develop tools for creating a healing relationship. A central factor in healing is the relationship perceived by the patient/client.
- Experience deep relaxation and mind-body effects so as to better communicate them to patients/clients and learn to use recorded guided imagery to enable efficient at-home self-healing.
- Acquire interactive tools for creating imagery of a positive future as a template for change.
It is now well established that Mind-Body Medicine is central to all healing. Science has proved this out time after time. In this course, you will be introduced to the theory and practice of Mind-Body Medicine. You will see how Type 2 Stress is a factor in most of the illnesses and dysfunctions we see at the physical, mental, emotional, and behavioral levels – and learn to experience and teach the basic skills of mindfulness, deep relaxation, guided imagery. At the theoretical level you will learn the neuroscience of the mind-body approach, and the use of metaphor and mental image rehearsal to activate neuroplasticity and catalyze healing.